We knew January 2019 that December would be around the corner and the food would be coming. No one had to tell you that. Just like no one needs to tell you that the only reach your goals is to eat heatlhy vegetables, fruits, lean protein and awesome fats. WE ALL KNOW THAT. Knowledge is not the missing link!
We are creatures of habit. Habits are good things. Can you imagine having to go through the steps of brushing your teeth and taking a shower everyday? We wouldn’t get anyting done. Walking is a habit, eating is a habit, commuting to work is a habit. But habits are also our worst enemy! What we are looking for are life hacks that work for real life.
ENTER: Me. That’s what I do. I help people find life hacks for their own personal lives in the areas of health and wealth. Yes, if you are not healthy, it will almost impossible to be wealthy. Today, I want to share a life hack that will work throughout the next month and to help you maintain control of your holiday parties.
Many people will begin seeing a plethora of sweets, breads, chocolates, popcorn, dips, chips, drinks etc. over the next 5-6 weeks. People have worked hard this year to meet health goals and it’s very easy to allow these 5 weeks to undo 10 months. I know it’s not fair, but that’s the truth.
Charcuterie is the answer. Think of eating this month in small portions allowing for different flavors. Quality foods will satisfy and let you eat less and feel satisfied. Fill up on meats, cheeses, and olives with nuts and berries. This combination of healthy fats with protein, which takes longer to digest making you feel fuller longer, and the juice and fiber from berries leaves little room for sweets loaded with sugar.
Items for a great board
- SAVORY/FATTY: cured meats (like salami, prosciutto, Spanish chorizo, soppressata, mortadella, pepperoni), hard cheeses (like cheddar, parmesan, manchego, gouda), soft cheeses (like brie, goat cheese, cream cheese (heavenly with jalapeno jam), mozzarella, blue cheese), olives (like kalamata, Spanish green, niçoise), dips (hummus, guacamole, herbed sour cream), raw veggies (good vessels for the dips + they are refreshing)
- SWEET: fresh or dried fruits (cherries, peaches, figs, pineapple, blueberries, raspberry, strawberries, oranges), preserves/jam, honey, candied nuts
- SOUR/TANGY: pickled veggies (like cucumbers, red onions, or pepperoncini), mustard, tangy cheeses (like goat cheese), vinegar-based sauces (like vinaigrettes, chimichurri, or hot sauce)
- SALTY: salted roasted nuts or smoked nuts, crackers (at least two different types for different textures), cured meats (especially prosciutto), olives, or sea salt (good sprinkled on chopped melon)
- BITTER: leafy greens or fresh herbs (or sauces like basil pesto or chimichurri sauce)
- SPICY: fresh or pickled chiles, spicy jam, hot sauce (jalapeno, habanero, ghost pepper), fresh black pepper, red pepper flakes, spicy cured meats
Don’t forget crackers or flatbreads, different textures and flavors. Enjoy not being in the kitchen sharing time with family and friend vs cleaning up.