Yep, you read that right. There is a day dedicated just to bourbon. I also think it’s to give bloggers something to write about!
I found this fabulous, healthy bourbon chicken recipe. It’s light and perfect for summer. Quick to put together and easy to pair with a salad or a plethora of fresh grilled veggies.
⅓ cup barbeque sauce:
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (see Tip)
2 tablespoons bourbon or apple juice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cider vinegar⅛ teaspoon salt
8 8- to 10-inch skewers (see Tip)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick pieces
4 green onions, cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- Prep 25 m
- Ready In 35 m
- For bourbon sauce, in a small saucepan combine barbecue sauce, brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, cider vinegar and salt. Bring to a boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- On skewers, alternately thread chicken, zucchini and green onions, leaving ¼ inch between pieces. Brush with bourbon sauce. For a charcoal or gas grill, grill skewers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat 5 minutes. Turn and brush again with bourbon sauce; discard any remaining sauce. Grill 5 to 7 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally.
- Tips: If using a sugar substitute, we recommend Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend or Sugar Twin® Granulated Brown. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Nutrition Facts Per Serving with Substitute: Same as below, except 213 cal., 14 g carb. (11 g sugars).
- If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover 30 minutes; drain before using.
- Serving size: 2 skewers
- Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat(1 g sat); 1 g fiber; 18 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 23 mcg folate;108 mg cholesterol; 15 g sugars; 276 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C; 38 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 510 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium
Thank you, Eating Well, for this delicious and nutritious recipe. Let me know what you think after you try it. Share your photos.