Is there anything better than single skillet dinners? I wish every meal only required a single pot, pan or skillet! That would sure save us some clean up time. This recipe, for Skillet Fried Chicken with Apple, is everything that a comforting, cold weather dinner should be. The chicken is lightly coated in coconut flour, giving it the feel of fried chicken without the extra fat, calories and guilt. Apple cider and fresh apples along with fresh sage bring seasonal flavors and close-your-eyes worthy taste.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¾ cup broth (chicken or bone)
- ¾ cup Apple Cider
- 2 apples, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, minced (use the smallest leaves intact as garnish)
- Season the chicken tenders on both sides with salt and pepper. Set 1 Tablespoon of the coconut flour aside, and dredge the chicken through the remaining coconut flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a 12-inch skillet place 2 Tablespoons of the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 7 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 Tablespoon of coconut flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the skillet with the broth and cider and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apples, vinegar and sage. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until the apples soften, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken back to the skillet, and cover with the sauce. Garnish with fresh sage leaves. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 216 calories, 12g fat, 21g carbohydrate, 12g sugar, 265mg sodium, 3g fiber, and 29g protein.
Looking to add healthier recipes to your week? Find out more here